My First Carbonara

For the second time, I am planning to cook something on Christmas eve.  I tried cooking my first spaghetti last year and it was successful.  I have this tendency of losing my appetite after I cook so I made sure to leave something for myself. And it's surely a leftover, my brother, thought maybe that I've had my fill almost consumed my share. So I thought it was good.

I did not really plan doing it again but I am inclined to cook, this time I thought of something quick and easy yet tasty. There's already the fettuccine waiting to be cooked so I thought of cooking carbonara.  So I searched online for some receipes and I am glad to have found a lot but I am not really interested in following everything, I just wanted to get an idea how it is cooked and what are the ingredients needed.  Here's what I have on my list (combined from other sources:

The gathered recipe:
500 gms. Fettuccine
200 gms. bacon
200 gms. ham
2 cloves garlic, minced2 tbsp. Parmesan cheese - grated
2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsely
2 Nestle All Purpose Cream
2 cans Cream of Mushroom
Olive Oil
salt and pepper


What I end up with:
200 gms. bacon - not available
2 tbsp. Parmesan cheese - grated (not available in small size)
2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsely - not available
2 cans Cream of Mushroom - don't feel like mixing it with these :)
**Most of the ingredients are not available because I decided to shop the next day, can't bear long lines.
400 gms. Fettuccine
200 gms. ham - diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 250ml Nestle All Purpose Cream
estimated 2 tbsp. Kinchay instead of Parsely
1 regular sized Magnolia Quickmelt instead of Parmesan
Settled with regular Cooking Oil :)
salt and pepper


Here's what I did (5 steps to cook my Carbonara):
Step 1.  Heated the pan and put a little oil to cook the diced ham.
Step 2.  Once cooked, removed ham and set it aside.  With the remaining oil, saute the garlic.
Step 3.  When the garlic is about to turn brown but make sure it's not brown, saute kinchay for 3 seconds.
Step 4.  Pour the all the All-Purpose Cream, add 3/4 ham and 3/4 Magnolia quickmelt & slowly stir in one direction.
Step 5.  Simmer until the mixture becomes a little thick then add the fettuccine pasta. Mix thoroughly and slowly.


It's now ready to serve!  Make sure to spread a little of pepper and a dash of salt to taste.  I served the first serving to my gf and guess what, she didn't like it..haha co'z it wasn't sprinkled with salt but after I did she asked me if she can bring home some of it.

Anyways, whether it's just to please me or not, I saved half of it for her to bring home.


*Updated with pics, never thought this is easy and cheaper than spaghetti - more delectable too.

3 comments:

December 30, 2009 at 4:50 AM ben said...

I often used to forget the salt when I was beginning to cook. Thanks for the recipe and the picture. I am really hungry now.

December 31, 2009 at 11:57 PM TIC said...

If you added more cheese and sprinkled just the right amount of salt, it enhances the taste of the cheesy pasta.

January 13, 2012 at 11:15 PM Anonymous said...

Great recipe. I'll try, easy it seems!

Post a Comment

 

© READ FOR LIFE!
Revolution Elements by Blozard. Original WP theme by Jason Schuller | Distributed by Deluxe Templates

ss_blog_claim=3b79db4271f1540e09b906c1e514a490